CS24D Series Color Sensors
Color Sensor with Discrete I/O and Teach Function
The CS24D Color Sensor is the newest addition to Delta’s lineup of color sensors. With easy configuration and optimization using Delta’s ColorSense software, the microprocessor-controlled CS24D can be taught to recognize up to 15 colors. A large sensing area and intense lighting make it relatively immune to product texture and other non-color variations. The CS24D is well-suited for on-line color verification. In the automobile industry, for example, the CS24D can quickly and accurately determine the color of seats, headliners, door panels, etc.
The CS24D works by illuminating a sample using an array of 24 ultra-high intensity LEDs and analyzing the reflected light captured by its large-area silicon cell. A new color reading is taken every millisecond and the discrete outputs are updated. Recognizing a new sample can be done as quickly as 2 to 3 milliseconds, although if more time is available, the CS24D allows for a number of readings to be averaged, which improves performane in critical applications.
The CS24D color sensors fill the market between low-end color sensors/color mark readers and spectrometers/color vision systems. The CS24D has better performance and more versatility than typical color sensors. The CS24D is intended for on-line use, whereas spectrometers are typically used off-line and where standardized color space readings are required. Color vision systems are preferred over color sensors where dimensional information is the primary requirement, and consistent color readings are of less importance.
- Recognize up to fifteen different color objects with one sensor.
- Superior color detection on a wide range of materials—even difficult textures.
- Teaching with eight readings per color provides for permissible color variations.
- Easily optimize performance using the ColorSense Setup Wizard.
- Several sensing areas for standoff distances are available to cover a wide range of applicaitons.
- Discrete inputs and outputs provide compatibility with any 12-24V I/O.
- Compact 1.3 x 4.0” footprint (33 x 100mm). Height is 4.0” (100mm) not including cables.
- Long life LED lighting with temperature, aging, and ambient light compensation.
The CS24D differentiates up to fifteen colors by comparing against Teach values, and communicates the results using four discrete outputs (binary coded, with 0000 = no match).
Delta's Windows-based ColorSense software is included with the CS24D. ColorSense's Setup Wizard provides an easy way to teach, configure, and optimize the CS24D. Parameters and teach data can be saved to the PC and restored to the sensor for quick line changeovers.
Teaching is done via a PLC or switches connected to the CS24D’s discrete inputs or using the Setup Wizard in Delta’s ColorSense software.
- Ensure the correct color object is being processed on your automated assembly line.
- Handle Just-In-Time supply requirements with confidence.
- Sort objects by color - into as many as 15 categories.
- Detect presence of coatings.
- Detect paint marks where bar coding is impractical.
CS24D sorting options include Closest Color, Closest Match, and Unique Match, with the latter two options using an adjustable Error Limit. Sorting can use color only, both color and intensity, or can be optimized for the Teach data.
As wonderful as the human eye is, it can only differentiate between similar colors when they are in close proximity of each other (e.g. after parts are assembled). With the CS24D color sensor, the human eye now has a practical and effective backup.